Thursday, August 13, 2009

Greetings from Algonquin and Lake Nipissing



We have made it to Algonquin Provincial Park!!  I have wanted to come here since I was about 13 and read an article in National Geographic  (and anyone who really knows me is not surprised that I was reading Nat'l Geographic at 13 - had my own subscription!)

The photo here is actually from Lake Nipissing, in North Bay.  This is the beach that Samuel du Champlain landed on in 1615 (or some such date).  It was about a block from our campground, and it was the most amazing sunset.  We took just a few pictures that evening!!!  I am particularly proud of these ones!

We hiked quite a few trails in Algonquin today - learned a lot about Black Spruce bogs and early logging.  It was about 27 degrees today (finally) and we were all pretty hot and tired by the end of it (especially the dogs).  Hershey and Oreo have discovered chipmunks and spend a great deal of time "on watch".  They actually vibrate with excitement when they are around!!

Tomorrow we are doing a half day canoe ride - looking forward to that!  We saw a baby bear crossing the road today but Sean really wants to see a moose!!  Rianna want to see a Payless Shoe source!

On Saturday we are heading to Ottawa and tons of stuff to see!

Jonathan, tell Cindy she is first on my list for an amethyst bracelet!  Rianna and I are going into the jewelery making business when we get home!!

Happy Trails, everyone!
P.S.  My S'mores tonight were particularly amazing!!

5 comments:

  1. I am super impressed with the fact that the blog is so up to date and that you are doing such wonderfully educational outings. Much for fun to be in a travelling outdoor school than inside the dusty, claustrophobic regular schools (can you tell I went into mine and sneezed continually, oh I can't wait for the daily grind to begin). My family (including my parents) are most impressed that you made it to Dog River. Did you meet many people like Hank?

    Enjoy the warmth, we are very chilly and rainy... thank goodness I had Costa Rica!

    Come on kids, keep your bolg portions up. Sean I am reading yours so I must be very interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The previous comment is from Jennifer but it insists on calling me Kindred. Perhpas because she started ours???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your adventures and seeing the awesome photos. Rick spent many a day canoeing in Algonquin--a beautiful spot. I, on the other hand, am very impressed with the amethysts-wow! Keep on learning and blogging. Rick and I are off on a 7 day Alaska cruise--am excited about seeing glaciers calving, whales etc., even if it is to rain, rain, rain. I packed all my gear so am ready!
    Hugs to all,
    Randi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello MacGregors,

    Just signed up, looks like your adventure has been, well, adventurous!! Glad to hear that the kids are picking up chores camping and de-camping. Hope your travels continue to be safe, and be sure not to crash in to any Moose, they are big and rather nasty when injured. We have been mostly in "Staycation" mode this summer, but are heading down to Idaho for a week next week. Matthew will miss first two days of school which seems like his pre-trip highlight.

    Matthew says:

    Hi Sean, hope you are having fun. Hockey doesn't start till Sept. 24. Will be thinking of you when evaluations start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy making jewelery as well, it's a quick way to create something beautiful.


    P.S. I LOVE your s'mores!!!! What made these ones so good?

    ReplyDelete