Friday, August 10, 2012

The ants go marching one by one.....

David is giving me grief because I am behind in my blog entries - but is he here typing them out for me?  I don't think so!  We just have not had a whole lot of sitting aroune time to do it.  I usually would do the blog in the evening after supper while they are watching TV or playing a game.  Now we are usually out by the fire visiting, or out somewhere doing something.  Oh, well...why am I giving myself dealines while on holidays??

Anyway, here we are in San Diego!  First job when we got here was to ant proof!  There are tons of teeny tiny ants (say that 10 times, fast) here, and they love to come inside for food!  Every place that the trailer touches the ground has to be surrounded by comet or some such corrosive powder which the ants don't like. We have comet and borax.  You can also coat things with vaseline, but that just seems really messy to me.  It seemed to work well - not many ants inside. Until last night anyway.....

David and Sean went to see a Chargers game last night so Rianna and I went out to do laundry and some shopping.  We came home to drop off the laundry, and were going to the train station to wait to pick up the boys.  Rianna let out a scream and started her "I am a girl and I see a bug routine"  Usually it is some little spider or something, but this time, it was worth a scream!  There were hundreds of ants swarming all over the counter where we have a little opening above the garbage.  When we came back from Coronada today, I made clubhouse sandwiches for lunch before the boys went to the game.  I used the pre-cooked bacon that you just have to warm up in the microwave.  I left the paper towel in the garbage, and it was a huge attraction for the ants!!  The odd crumb in the cupboard was obviously not nearly as yummy for ants as bacon grease (can you blame them?)  We got the garbage outside and killed all the ants, but even for me, who is not at all squeemish, it was a little freaky. Lesson learned!
For the rest of the evening, though, every bug or something that touched Rianna, sent her off into the shivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment