Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Surfin' USA

We went to three main beaches while in San Diego:  Coronado, Solano, and Mission.  All are within half an hour or so of the KOA campground.  All were great beaches, but Solano had the best waves.  The Aab family was meeting up with another family down here, who are also from Calgary.  Brandon plays hockey with their boy, Cole.  His family is friends with  another family who lives here, who came with us to the beach and brought their surf boards!!  Sean, Rianna and I all spent some time trying to "ride the waves"!  Watching the experienced surfers was awesome, and a little daunting.
Sean actually made it up for a few seconds, Rianna was able to kneel and go for a bit, and I was awful! 
The board was huge, heavy, and really tried to get away from me with every possible wave and opportunity!  Finally, it decided it had had enough of the ungainly, whale-like object trying to ride it, and turned it's vengence on me.  It waited for it's moment when a nasty wave turned me upside down, and then it wacked me with its fins (somewhat reminiscent of the killer whales using their tails to splash the crowds at Sea World).  As I returned to the safety of dry land, with blood running down my leg and a bruise already forming on my thigh, I passed off the surf board to another unsuspecting dry lander, and checked another item off my bucket list!
I may not have conquered the board, but in a small way, I conquered my fears.


No comments:

Post a Comment