Saturday, August 6, 2011

Point Pelee Wetlands


I had to do one more entry about the Wetlands at Point Pelee as marshes are one of my favourite places in the world!! This one is actually designated a United Nations Wetland of International Significance because of it's importance to migration routes. It is also a Dark Sky Preserve which is an area of reduced light pollution (simplified definition).

As the kids and I were standing on the edge of this boardwalk, we could here this loud noise, sort of like a croaking and slurping put together. If you know me, you understand that I had to investigate! (Sean often scathingly tells me that I have to turn every experience into a science or a history lesson!) Anyway, our short investigation showed us that the huge carp, like you would see in a Chinese restaurant display pool, were swimming between the reeds, and slurping up the plants and bugs growing at the surface. It was such a cool sound that I actually had to video tape it!! We later confirmed this hypothesis with the ranger at the visitor station.
If you look closely between the lily pads in the bottom photo you can see another exciting reptilian science lesson! I have not had a chance to research what kind it is, but it's not a friendly little garter snake for sure! We saw him during a hike through the marsh on a boardwalk that was about one kilometre long - it was awesome! At times the reeds were at least 8 feet tall, and even David could not see anything over them. I have a great photo of a tern flying right at my head as she thought we were getting too close to her nest which was at least 10 yards out in the marsh.
Point Pelee National Park was a great experience to add to our list of amazing things we have seen in Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment